Collateral damage by pursuit

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
#407 (In Topic #95)
Standard member
BlueOrange is in the usergroup ‘Local’

A kaiju detail I like to see

We're all very familiar with the idea of a behemoth being so powerful that a lot of the mayhem they cause and lives they ruin isn't even on purpose. They need somewhere to put those paws of theirs too, after all! Sure, they could step around you or your car, but it's up to them to care enough to do that. (I'm personally a big fan of when it's a friendly or gentle creature whose priorities may not be in the best interest of keeping people/animals or their property intact!)

What's also enticed me is a macro's actions being directed because of a smaller, weaker being, like a specific human they're trying to catch in a city. Of course, being so focused on that one person, the hundreds of other people or buildings or literally everything else they have to trample past are relegated to an afterthought. All you can do, as a vulnerable bystander, is helplessly hope whoever they're pursuing doesn't come near you!

Some examples:
  1. Godzilla 1998 stamping on streets, kicking down traffic lights, and smushing cars and buildings as he chases a pesky taxicab
  2. Kong 2005 barging through busy traffic, crushing and flipping cars while he chases Jack
  3. Smaug 2014 collapsing houses under his feet and wing-paws as he stomps toward Bard
  4. King Ghidorah 2019 landing heavily in Boston and trampling rows of buildings by following the ORCA
  5. Less aggressively, Kong 2021 shoving aside an entire row of very tall trees just to meet up with Jin
Any thoughts or examples on this concept? I personally have some trouble putting it into words.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member
Kemui52 is in the usergroup ‘Old timer’
I definitely adore the idea of a kaiju not caring for its surroundings, though chase scenes tend to have too much action going on, which takes all the screentime away from the destruction. Or at least, that's how it always seems to be for movies. l know in episode 6 of the Zilla '98 cartoon, there are big rats attacking the city, and as the big guy chases them around he causes a lot of destruction in clear view. There's another episode, l don't know which, where Zilla needs to cross to another street, but a row of highrises are in the way…so he just tackles right through one.

And to keep my declining pattern going, here's this clip from an old anime l don't know where this giant dinosaur barrels straight through a city. Loads of destruction that's easy to see!

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member
Well, Godzilla the Series always delivers with its kaiju screentime! Although, yes, I have to admit the chase scenes take attention away from the monster sometimes.

The Cat and Mouse episode from GtS has been quite a memorable one for me for all its destruction, and part of it might be because of this concept. There's also something nice in the bits of "incremental" destruction in that episode, like where one of the rats blindsides a bus, just before Zilla silences it by pancaking it under his toes as he rounds the turn!

The episode you're thinking of might be number 15, "Competition", which is the one with King Cobra. Zilla blasts King Cobra up against a building with his breath, and to deliver the final blow, Zilla charges straight at him, uncaringly taking the skyscraper down with them.
zilla and cobra.png
That also reminds me of the episode "Vision", which has one scene where Zilla tries attacking some giant hummingbirds but ends up wrecking a forest instead. GtS doesn't hold its punches especially considering Zilla is supposed to be the protagonist!

I was also thinking of Diablo's old Rexzilla game, where the big rex (and their buddies) trample up an entire town full of poor old buildings solely to chase down Ahastar. It's also a nice detail that the rex obliviously stomps up the traps that would've helped them catch him (or they just don't care).

That brown kaiju is causing quite a bit of destruction indeed… not even paying ANY attention at all to all the buildings he's pushing aside or giving the full, direct impact of his paws. Have any clue where he's headed? :P

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

That brown kaiju is causing quite a bit of destruction indeed… not even paying ANY attention at all to all the buildings he's pushing aside or giving the full, direct impact of his paws. Have any clue where he's headed? :P

Not a clue, really. All l can tell is which anime and episode number the uploader lists. Looks like it's from "The Ultraman", episode 10. That channel is very good at separating the scenes from their original context.

And yeah, looking through my archives, that show definitely went wild with collateral damage compared to other shows. l don't have the building tackle saved, though, nor do l remember why he needed to tackle through it. l figured it was just one scene, so l didn't need to save the whole episode. How funny that's the one l point out most often.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

Not a clue, really. All l can tell is which anime and episode number the uploader lists. Looks like it's from "The Ultraman", episode 10.
Oh hey, The Ultraman seems to be a Kaiju of the Week sort of thing! I'll keep an eye on this series. There are a couple FANDOM wikis with the monsters and also this fan list.

I found the brown kaiju you posted! He's called either Xalome/Zalome/Zarrom. First of all, he's kind of adorable here.
Zalome.png

The list even calls him a "poor, relatively harmless kaiju". He was just hanging out in a desert and accidentally roped himself into a guy's magic trick, which ended up merging their minds in some sense. Zarrom's trying to follow the guy's memories, and so he's heading toward the house where the guy's family lives specifically… which means all those hundreds of buildings he steps on and brushes aside are just because they're in the way of him and that single house. When he's in the city he's also basically a confused animal, like Zilla. I had a feeling this would tie back into the original post… :)

A few images of his wake:
zarrom2.png zarrom1.png
The show keeps him alive at the end, too!

Quite a number of these guys from the show seem very keen on leveling cities.
Wanigodon.png

Kemui52 said

l don't have the building tackle saved, though, nor do l remember why he needed to tackle through it. l figured it was just one scene, so l didn't need to save the whole episode. How funny that's the one l point out most often.
Was it not the King Cobra one?

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

The show keeps him alive at the end, too!
Oh? That's a pleasant surprise! Hmmm, curses. You're gonna make me try to find the show. Because WHAT A HECKIN' CUTIE!!!

BlueOrange said

Was it not the King Cobra one?

It was almost a decade ago, so l don't have a single clue where l found them. The only reason l had that video l posted on hand was because it was recent.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

Oh? That's a pleasant surprise! Hmmm, curses. You're gonna make me try to find the show. Because WHAT A HECKIN' CUTIE!!!
It's always nice when the big creature that's undoing decades of urban development and trampling thousands of people is an innocent, playful cutie who probably wants a hug. :) I might look at the other The Ultraman clips on that YouTube channel to see what kinds of scenes I should be looking out for.

Kemui52 said

It was almost a decade ago, so l don't have a single clue where l found them. The only reason l had that video l posted on hand was because it was recent.
Haha, the only problem with there being so much kaiju content in GtS is that it's hard to remember where all the scenes came from!

Slightly related, any thoughts on kaijus destroying the environment or nature?

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

Oh, l love that! Really enjoy seeing a kaiju stomp right on top of a forest! l have a bit of a grudge against trees 'cause they tend to be invulnerable in games with destruction. Stupid trees… But alongside that, l'm just a cruel, cruel bird.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

BlueOrange said

Oh, l love that! Really enjoy seeing a kaiju stomp right on top of a forest! l have a bit of a grudge against trees 'cause they tend to be invulnerable in games with destruction. Stupid trees… But alongside that, l'm just a cruel, cruel bird.
That pleases me to hear!! :) Kaijus destroying trees and nature is an aspect of macro stuff that doesn't get nearly enough attention imo. I like the thought of trees withstanding decades of harsh weathers and torrents, with bodies fortified through millions of years of evolution, just to get flattened to a heap of woodchips in a split-second beneath an oblivious dragon's paws. And the little forest critters will simply have to deal with it too, if they aren't smushed into the forest floor with them that is.

skullcrawler.webm

Speaking of tree destruction in games, have you seen Elden Ring? I've only watched clips of it but, it has destructible trees and there are some fights where dragons get to topple tall trees and ancient ruins (and sometimes slaughter bystanding animals) by flying/stomping into them. All just so they can land a few hits on you and your horse. :P

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

That pleases me to hear!! :) Kaijus destroying trees and nature is an aspect of macro stuff that doesn't get nearly enough attention imo. I like the thought of trees withstanding decades of harsh weathers and torrents, with bodies fortified through millions of years of evolution, just to get flattened to a heap of woodchips in a split-second beneath an oblivious dragon's paws. And the little forest critters will simply have to deal with it too, if they aren't smushed into the forest floor with them that is.
Raaaawr, what a terrifying and lovely thought! And graaawr, look at that handsome monster brush all that to the side (and what a nice maw, too)!

BlueOrange said

Speaking of tree destruction in games, have you seen Elden Ring? I've only watched clips of it but, it has destructible trees and there are some fights where dragons get to topple tall trees and ancient ruins (and sometimes slaughter bystanding animals) by flying/stomping into them. All just so they can land a few hits on you and your horse. :P
I've only seen stuff from the first dozen hours in Elden Ring scattered through various friends streaming it. I have heard talk of some giant dragons, but l haven't looked into it since l usually research games where l can control the monster directly. Though, it is indeed interesting to hear there are some dragons who seem to stomp around freely.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

Raaaawr, what a terrifying and lovely thought! And graaawr, look at that handsome monster brush all that to the side (and what a nice maw, too)!
I love how he seems to just press his long, huge toes into the soft ground, with all the meek palm trees caught in between! And with each blunt, earth-trembling press, another half-dozen trees are promptly crunched and forced to truly inadequately cushion the skullcrawler's step, their once sturdy, rigid trunks instantly molded to the contours of his toes, and the wide, efficiently engineered leaves shredded uselessly onto the mangled soil of his footprint. And of course, the poor woodland was just in the way of him and some human soldiers! (That is quite a floppy tongue as well :) )

Also a fan of how the trees sway and sag in response to the rocking ground. Almost as if they're trembling in fear since they have no escape from the skullcrawler's cataclysmic footsteps. Too often just the camera shakes and nothing actually shifts or bounces, so this was nice to see!

I do wonder what makes environmental destruction so exciting. I once theorized it was that kaijus are usually designed to be a challenge for well-developed human society and weaponry, but nature is always left completely unadapted and helpless, no matter how evolved the wild flora and fauna are. I think there's more to it though.

Kemui52 said

I've only seen stuff from the first dozen hours in Elden Ring scattered through various friends streaming it. I have heard talk of some giant dragons, but l haven't looked into it since l usually research games where l can control the monster directly. Though, it is indeed interesting to hear there are some dragons who seem to stomp around freely.

The screen seems to shake quite a bit during some dragon fights, because of how much they move their feet around! Whether it's because their animations have them step into position or it's an actual stomping/landing attack.

Care to share any games where you get to control the kaiju? :) I recall your work with the old Rampage games.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

I love how he seems to just press his long, huge toes into the soft ground, with all the meek palm trees caught in between! And with each blunt, earth-trembling press, another half-dozen trees are promptly crunched and forced to truly inadequately cushion the skullcrawler's step, their once sturdy, rigid trunks instantly molded to the contours of his toes, and the wide, efficiently engineered leaves shredded uselessly onto the mangled soil of his footprint. And of course, the poor woodland was just in the way of him and some human soldiers! (That is quite a floppy tongue as well :) )
I forgot to mention it last time, but your descriptions paint a delightful scene! Raaawr!

BlueOrange said

I do wonder what makes environmental destruction so exciting. I once theorized it was that kaijus are usually designed to be a challenge for well-developed human society and weaponry, but nature is always left completely unadapted and helpless, no matter how evolved the wild flora and fauna are. I think there's more to it though.
Hmmm, l know l hone in on the disparity between the kaiju versus the animals. There's such a great difference between their strengths, and l love how much dominance a kaiju can exert over them. But other than that, l can't really put my finger on what else is going on.

BlueOrange said

The screen seems to shake quite a bit during some dragon fights, because of how much they move their feet around! Whether it's because their animations have them step into position or it's an actual stomping/landing attack.

Care to share any games where you get to control the kaiju? :) I recall your work with the old Rampage games.
I think the best example l have that is full-on kaiju "sprotchiness" is the hidden debug feature of the mainline Earth Defense Force games: You can play as the enemies, including the city-destroying kaiju! The biggest monster you can play as is King Saurous in EDF2, though that is on PS2 and requires savestates for easy access. The two latest games, EDF4.1 and EDF5, have sufficiently large kaiju and are on PC with a decent modding scene. EDF4.1 also features a giant purple dragon and a gargantuan four-legged machine. All of them can stomp through buildings like they're not even there!

I also want to give mention to Kaiju-a-Gogo, a single-unit RTS game where you use a kaiju to hit-and-run cities for resources to develop upgrades. The game has its code very open in plain text files, so it's easy to mod it to grow the kaiju in size and set it so everything it touches is crushed instantly!

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

I forgot to mention it last time, but your descriptions paint a delightful scene! Raaawr!
Rerrrr… thank you! I think I get pretty wordy at times, but maybe that's the level of detail these creatures deserve when they show off on woodlands as they do. Any suggestions?

Kemui52 said

Hmmm, l know l hone in on the disparity between the kaiju versus the animals. There's such a great difference between their strengths, and l love how much dominance a kaiju can exert over them. But other than that, l can't really put my finger on what else is going on.
Yes! Kaijus tend not to care about concepts like "food chain" or "apex predator" status or "alphas" in a tribal hierarchy. Whether it's a little ant on the ground, a fleeing deer, a pursuing leopard, or a peaceful elephant, it'll get squished underpaw with one unaware stride all the same (along with the entire surrounding ecosystem more often than not!).

When it comes to macro art, the animals I see getting size-compared/mistreated the most are cows. That includes them being trampled, swallowed, or being herded by a kaiju serving as a farmer (damaging sections of the field too of course). The cow thing might just be an offshoot of the whole "dragons raiding livestock" trope.

Another factor I've thought about is the plants' and animals' innocence. I usually don't think of them as having as much of a choice about where to go or where to live, so whether or not a kaiju finds them in its way is even more down to luck.

Kemui52 said

I think the best example l have that is full-on kaiju "sprotchiness" is the hidden debug feature of the mainline Earth Defense Force games: You can play as the enemies, including the city-destroying kaiju! The biggest monster you can play as is King Saurous in EDF2, though that is on PS2 and requires savestates for easy access. The two latest games, EDF4.1 and EDF5, have sufficiently large kaiju and are on PC with a decent modding scene. EDF4.1 also features a giant purple dragon and a gargantuan four-legged machine. All of them can stomp through buildings like they're not even there!

I also want to give mention to Kaiju-a-Gogo, a single-unit RTS game where you use a kaiju to hit-and-run cities for resources to develop upgrades. The game has its code very open in plain text files, so it's easy to mod it to grow the kaiju in size and set it so everything it touches is crushed instantly!
Wow, I searched out some clips of the EDF series and they have some pretty sophisticated destruction. And it looks like the trees are just as vulnerable as every other part of the city too! I also like seeing the kaiju flattening their own minions, accidentally squashing tens of truck-sized ants as they jump and stomp around. The two monsters you mentioned from EDF4.1 look pretty darn huge especially since you mostly play from a human pov. I couldn't find any clips of the debug settings or monster play though, have any on hand? :D

As for Kaiju-a-Gogo, it always feels great to slowly yet so easily level a city. Customizability and moddability are always both a blessing and a curse… always a temptation to try all the settings to find out which give the best results!

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

Another factor I've thought about is the plants' and animals' innocence. I usually don't think of them as having as much of a choice about where to go or where to live, so whether or not a kaiju finds them in its way is even more down to luck.
Ahhhhh, yes. That is certainly a delicious thing to consider. The special innocence of wild animals just trying to survive! Grrrr…!

BlueOrange said

Wow, I searched out some clips of the EDF series and they have some pretty sophisticated destruction. And it looks like the trees are just as vulnerable as every other part of the city too! I also like seeing the kaiju flattening their own minions, accidentally squashing tens of truck-sized ants as they jump and stomp around. The two monsters you mentioned from EDF4.1 look pretty darn huge especially since you mostly play from a human pov. I couldn't find any clips of the debug settings or monster play though, have any on hand? :D
EDF is great with its sense of scale. The monsters always feel so massive and slow, yet still traverse a lot of ground quickly. As for the modding, it is still a fairly obscure thing, admittedly. I do have some videos that l myself have uploaded; one of Erginus from EDF5 and King Saurous from EDF2.

Also, that City Crushing Madness channel l shared earlier has a large number of videos from EDF5. They're still pretty recent in… Oh, actually, he's uploaded a lot of stuff since then. Uh, here, l'll toss up the playlist he made. I've still yet to check these out personally, but the previews look good. He's got videos of a few other kaiju games, too, but not other EDF titles.
Earth Disastrous Foes【地球暴災群】 - YouTube

BlueOrange said

Rerrrr… thank you! I think I get pretty wordy at times, but maybe that's the level of detail these creatures deserve when they show off on woodlands as they do. Any suggestions?
Suggestions? Oh, um… Well, one thing that really gets me excited is when an oversized animal squishes those of its own kind. Like a giant tiger trampling panthers, lions, and other formerly-large cats. It adds even more spice to an already hot scenario for me!

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

BlueOrange said

Ahhhhh, yes. That is certainly a delicious thing to consider. The special innocence of wild animals just trying to survive! Grrrr…!

Kemui52 said

Suggestions? Oh, um… Well, one thing that really gets me excited is when an oversized animal squishes those of its own kind. Like a giant tiger trampling panthers, lions, and other formerly-large cats. It adds even more spice to an already hot scenario for me!
Heck, that's a nice thought. The example comping to my mind is the Zilla museum trailer where he steps on a T-rex skeleton.

…..gah, yet again I'm finding it really hard to articulate it. Maybe it's a power display thing, knowing that their like-species victims are usually highly-regarded and powerful? And that the oversized animal has completely reversed the power dynamic that it once lived in?

Come to think of it, megafauna skeletons are used a couple times in big films to show the power dominance between kaijus/monsters. Like Rexy smashing through the spino skeleton in Jurassic World's fight scene (and adding insult to injury by kicking the bones around and pulverizing one of them underfoot), and one brief shot in Pacific Rim Uprising where one of the kaiju fights makes smaller kaiju skeletons in a museum rock around. Plus, neither ZIlla, Rexy, nor the Pacific Rim kaiju were specifically targeting the skeletons. Rexy was even just chasing a little human and then shifted her attention to I-rex.

(Sorry if my earlier reply was a little awkward!)

Kemui52 said

EDF is great with its sense of scale. The monsters always feel so massive and slow, yet still traverse a lot of ground quickly. As for the modding, it is still a fairly obscure thing, admittedly. I do have some videos that l myself have uploaded; one of Erginus from EDF5 and King Saurous from EDF2.

Also, that City Crushing Madness channel l shared earlier has a large number of videos from EDF5. They're still pretty recent in… Oh, actually, he's uploaded a lot of stuff since then. Uh, here, l'll toss up the playlist he made. I've still yet to check these out personally, but the previews look good. He's got videos of a few other kaiju games, too, but not other EDF titles.
Earth Disastrous Foes【地球暴災群】 - YouTube
What a leisurely stroll! There are so many different textures a kaiju can encounter in a city, whether it's the concrete of high-rises crashing against its thighs, shorter buildings giving way like mounds of sand around its feet, or the soft carpet that is a forested park tickling its paws. It's almost hard to believe the camera is three stories up in the lowest camera angle of the Erginus video, since that's still just the height of his ankles and you can't see above his thighs. Being so close really lets you sense the truly superfluous amount of weight being used to smash those paper shells for buildings and snap those toothpicks for tree trunks and traffic poles.

It's nice how CCM takes advantage of a wide repertoire of their animations. The kaijus leap heavily around, basically throwing all their weight at things even if they could just walk through them, and wreck entire city blocks when they fall over! He has some fun camera angles, too.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

…..gah, yet again I'm finding it really hard to articulate it. Maybe it's a power display thing, knowing that their like-species victims are usually highly-regarded and powerful? And that the oversized animal has completely reversed the power dynamic that it once lived in?
[…]
(Sorry if my earlier reply was a little awkward!)

Hmm, perhaps it's to do with how they are typically equals, how they normally have to compete with and respect each other…but when one towers over the rest, that competition is shattered with a simple step of a foot. We might also think the giant would show sympathy towards its own kind, but that, too, is shattered just as easily and without moral concern. Hm, that might not be the full picture, but it's stuff l tend to think about when l see it. Another example is when a massive tree ent stomps down a forest; they're of the same kind, but it tramples them regardless. Almost like nature going against nature, perhaps a sense of betrayal is there?

(And, don't worry, you're good. l just have a bit of trouble with open-ended questions)

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

Hmm, perhaps it's to do with how they are typically equals, how they normally have to compete with and respect each other…but when one towers over the rest, that competition is shattered with a simple step of a foot. We might also think the giant would show sympathy towards its own kind, but that, too, is shattered just as easily and without moral concern. Hm, that might not be the full picture, but it's stuff l tend to think about when l see it. Another example is when a massive tree ent stomps down a forest; they're of the same kind, but it tramples them regardless. Almost like nature going against nature, perhaps a sense of betrayal is there?

(And, don't worry, you're good. l just have a bit of trouble with open-ended questions)
Yeah, that broken competition/respect dynamic definitely plays a factor. To me there's still a sort of ironic expectation that all the creatures in a community are on a level playing field, despite one's extremely clear advantage when it's huge. If I'm articulating that right.

The betrayal idea I can definitely empathize with. Goes back to the idea of friendly kaijus causing significant collateral damage, or kaijus carelessly crushing their own structures or minions that were in their favor. I think this is reminding me of statues, monuments, or branded products that are built to honor a kaiju/animal, but which end up getting demolished by that very creature, or another of their kind. It really puts humans/whatever civilization built the structure in their place, knowing the glory of their biggest statues is barely a crumb compared to the real thing('s footfalls)! Or "protectors" of forests or nature who are depicted as animals so immense they couldn't live in the environment they're supposed to protect, without flattening more of it than any other threat could even imagine destroying.

(You and me both @w@)

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

The betrayal idea I can definitely empathize with. Goes back to the idea of friendly kaijus causing significant collateral damage, or kaijus carelessly crushing their own structures or minions that were in their favor. I think this is reminding me of statues, monuments, or branded products that are built to honor a kaiju/animal, but which end up getting demolished by that very creature, or another of their kind. It really puts humans/whatever civilization built the structure in their place, knowing the glory of their biggest statues is barely a crumb compared to the real thing('s footfalls)! Or "protectors" of forests or nature who are depicted as animals so immense they couldn't live in the environment they're supposed to protect, without flattening more of it than any other threat could even imagine destroying. 

Oooooh, that's another spicy scenario for me! l love when a kaiju uncaringly destroys the structures of its worshippers! It really, as you said, puts them in their place. The most common thing l think of for that scenario are Egyptian gods.

And, when a protector of a forest or city tramples the very place that's under their protection? Well, let's say l enjoy when those places wind up "under" their protector…! I'm not much into a superhero variation of this kind of thing (sorry, King D!), l'm more into a deity or a sentient robot. Beings that appear infallible, but care not for whatever they crush in their path.

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

Kemui52 said

Oooooh, that's another spicy scenario for me! l love when a kaiju uncaringly destroys the structures of its worshippers! It really, as you said, puts them in their place. The most common thing l think of for that scenario are Egyptian gods.

And, when a protector of a forest or city tramples the very place that's under their protection? Well, let's say l enjoy when those places wind up "under" their protector…! I'm not much into a superhero variation of this kind of thing (sorry, King D!), l'm more into a deity or a sentient robot. Beings that appear infallible, but care not for whatever they crush in their path.
Yep! Or even when it crushes its worshippers themselves. Some might be hesitant to follow it after witnessing such an act, or they might see it as natural destiny. No matter their choice, nothing can change the fact that they and their structures are utterly powerless against a sufficiently immense and oblivious creature.

Hm, with kaijus like these, it's a given that forests or cities will always be under them, physically and figuratively. Unless you mean something a tad more humiliating…? ;)

I agree with the superhero thing. Kaijus simply exude a much greater sense of force and strength imo, plus their size opens up a lot more opportunities for careless collateral damage! Whereas a human-sized hero can just walk through a forest between all the trees, a kaiju doesn't have that option–best they can do is trample up the entire place on the way to their destination. There's definitely something in things being crushed as a means to an end, whether the kaiju realizes what it's doing or not! Protective kaijus also have quite a bit of leverage over the area they're protecting, so the people or animals down below aren't really in a position to complain either.

unnamed.png
Here's a dragon whose lore calls her "nature's sworn protector" who apparently "will never harm anything that is part of nature". Of course, that's going to be a hard goal to fulfill when a person on the forest floor can see her calves from afar over the treeline. Imagine being a human who needs to cut down a tree and then this guy appears and starts shaking and annihilating the rest of the forest just to stop you.

EDIT: image wasn't loading

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5
Standard member

BlueOrange said

Yep! Or even when it crushes its worshippers themselves. Some might be hesitant to follow it after witnessing such an act, or they might see it as natural destiny. No matter their choice, nothing can change the fact that they and their structures are utterly powerless against a sufficiently immense and oblivious creature.
Mmmraaaaawr, the horror they must feel will have to subside quickly as they remember the uncaring protector is what's preventing other monsters from completely destroying their puny, little lives! Grrrr, rawr!

BlueOrange said

Hm, with kaijus like these, it's a given that forests or cities will always be under them, physically and figuratively. Unless you mean something a tad more humiliating…? ;)
Hehe…um, I was just making a pun about being underfoot. You know, as all veteran macros do. But, why? What were you thinking of?

BlueOrange said

Here's a dragon whose lore calls her "nature's sworn protector" who apparently "will never harm anything that is part of nature". Of course, that's going to be a hard goal to fulfill when a person on the forest floor can see her calves from afar over the treeline. Imagine being a human who needs to cut down a tree and then this guy appears and starts shaking and annihilating the rest of the forest just to stop you.
Awww, look at that gorgeously stunning dragon!! To truly never harm nature at such a size would mean having to float everywhere, and at that point, there's no use in being giant anymore. I'd love to see trees collapse beneath that dragon's stride!

Last edit: by Kemui52

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.